Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Is Google Making Us Stupid?"

   In the article "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" talks a lot about how we comprehend and think about what we read. The way people read now is more skimming the article than actually taking time to read and understand the article. When I read this article I thought about how I read and comprehend things. Nicholas Carr explains how he used to be able to read long stretches of articles and analyze and make connections to what he reads. Now he finds himself struggling to stay focus after two to three pages. When I read I can really relate to this because, I can't concentrate as much as I used to. When I read I usually have to read the page two to three times. Unless I’m connected or really interested in the writing I usually don't read it in the first place. I don't think Google is making us stupid. I just think Google is just making us read things differently, by summarizing what we read. Is Google really making us stupid or is Google just changing how we process things?

No comments:

Post a Comment